Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Parlez-vous Français?

I've had more time than usual this week to enjoy things like cooking and baking :) Though admittedly this recipe didn't take very much of my time at all. I found a French onion soup recipe here (through Pinterest, naturally) and modified it just a little for my vegetarian needs. Also, I scaled it back a little because I didn't need quite as much soup as it would have made. I somehow always thought that it would be too difficult to make French onion soup so I never tried. I was missing out! Basically the only effort I actually put into this was slicing the onions, the rest was just sitting and waiting.



My French onion soup consisted of:

2 sweet onions, sliced
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 32-oz carton of vegetable stock
French baguette, sliced on the bias
Asiago cheese

I melted the butter in my slow cooker on high for a few minutes. In the meantime I sliced my onions and added them to the butter to caramelize them, which took about an hour (my house smelled so great at that point!). Then I mixed the flour, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and pepper in a separate bowl, adding them to the crock pot with the vegetable stock. Then it was smooth sailing, as I let it sit for 8 hours on low as I went about my day.





When it came time for dinner, I toasted the sliced French baguette and melted the cheese on top. I put the bread in the soup, sprinkled a little more cheese on top, and voilà! French onion soup!

Also, it is imperative that you listen to this and this while you prepare and devour this meal!



3 comments:

  1. I should show this recipe to my sister, she loves onions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very onion-y! Normally that's not my favorite thing, but these are CARAMELIZED onions! I could eat caramelized onions morning, noon, and night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! Love how you used veggie stock instead of beef :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...